PhD, P.Eng., F.ACI | Associate
Adam is a recognized expert in reinforced and prestressed concrete structures, and in the seismic risk mitigation of structures. The depth of his technical knowledge and solid understanding of structural engineering fundamentals influence his design approach while also making him the “go-to” resource within RJC for technically challenging projects.
Based on his seismic engineering expertise, Adam is an invited member of the City of Vancouver’s Seismic Policy Advisory Committee as well as the Steering Committee of the Technical Review Board for seismic risk mitigation projects at BC schools. He also provides independent peer reviews for school seismic upgrading projects to the Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia on behalf of the Ministry of Education. His recent projects include the seismic upgrade and building renewal of the TELUS North Vancouver Central Office, a Seismic Mitigation Masterplan for Simon Fraser University and developing seismic upgrade concepts for complex buildings across the institutional, commercial and education sectors. As Vice-Chair of RJC’s Structural Technical Group, Adam applies his technical insights and project experience towards the advancement of technical standards used across the firm.
He completed his Bachelor of Applied Science degree at the University of Waterloo, his Masters at the University of British Columbia and his PhD at the University of Toronto. Adam was a faculty member at the University of Alberta, where he led teaching and research programs related to structural concrete. He continues to remain active in research and teaching as an Adjunct Professor at the University of British Columbia. He has published over 50 technical articles and has presented his work at major international scientific conferences. In 2017, he co-chaired the organizing committee for the Annual Symposium of the International Association of Bridge and Structural Engineering. Adam actively contributes to the development of codes and standards as a Voting Member of prominent Canadian and International technical committees related to structural engineering. His contributions to the concrete industry were recognized by the American Concrete Institute through the ACI Design Award and being named a Fellow of ACI.
- Engineers and Geoscientists of British Columbia (EGBC)
- Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA)
- Professional Engineers Ontario (PEO)
- Fellow of the American Concrete Institute (ACI)
- Member of the City of Vancouver Seismic Policy Advisory Committee
- Member of the Technical Committee, CSA A23.3: Design of Concrete Structures
- Member of the Sub-committee 8 (Concrete), CSA S6: Canadian Highway Bridge Design Code
- Member of the Technical Committee, CSA G30.18: Carbon Steel Bars for Concrete Reinforcement
- Chair of Technical Committee, ACI/ASCE 445: Shear and Torsion
- Member of Technical Sub-Committee, ACI 318-E: Strength and Member Design, Building Code for Structural Concrete
- Member of Technical Committee, ACI 435: Deflections
- Associate Member of Committee, ACI 374: Performance-based Seismic Design