Award-winning Heritage Conservation at Kelowna School
Read Jones Christoffersen Ltd. has received a Heritage BC Award of Honour in Heritage Conservation, for their involvement with the window and masonry preservation of Central Elementary School in Kelowna, BC. Kurtis Topping, Glade Schoenfeld, and Douglas Watts accepted the award on behalf of RJC at the 2014 Heritage BC Awards Gala.
As Prime Consultant, RJC was engaged to develop a preservation strategy for the original 1914 red brick masonry and double-hung wood windows, both of which are considered character-defining elements of the building. Highlights of the project include:
- Repainting the 1914 red brick with a mortar colour similar to the original.
- All window sashes were removed to facilitate the restoration process, with each sash being steam stripped, repaired as required, and re-painted.
- By careful attention to detail, all glazing and sash hardware was removed, cleaned, and reinstalled in the same location.
- Each window was made operable by salvaging, servicing, and reinstalling the original spring balances.
- Transom lites previously infilled with plywood were reinstated with obscured glazing to replicate the original condition.
RJC would like to congratulate the entire project team including Central Okanagan School District #23, Greyback Construction Ltd., Dunbar Masonry & Construction Ltd., and Vintage Woodworks Inc.